Foodie Friday

One of my girlfriend's shared this recipe with me last week and I'm on my second batch already.  It is so good.

Cumin Lime Black Bean Quinoa Salad

I made some revisions because when I first made it I didn't have carrots or green onions in the house.  I used red and yellow bell peppers, diced, and lots of black pepper and a few red pepper flakes.  For the dressing I omitted the garlic and cumin because I just wasn't feeling it that day and used agave syrup.  When the MR cooks he puts cumin and garlic in everything and I just wanted a break.  I did add grilled chicken and a bit more lime juice.  Perfect meal!



    For the salad
    • 1 cup uncooked quinoa (or 3 cups cooked)
    • 1 (15-ounce) can black beans (or 1.5 cups cooked), drained and rinsed
    • 1.5 cups cilantro, finely chopped
    • 3 small/medium carrots, julienned (about 1.5 cups)
    • 4 green onions, chopped
    • fine grain sea salt & black pepper, to taste
    For the dressing
    • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
    • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    • 1 large clove garlic, minced
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
    • 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
    Instructions
    • 1. To prepare the quinoa: Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh sieve. Add into pot along with 1.5 cups water or veggie broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low-medium, and then cover with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer for 15-17 minutes until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy. Remove from heat and steam with the lid on for 5 additional minutes. Fluff with fork and chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.
    • 2. In a large bowl, toss the quinoa, drained and rinsed black beans, cilantro, carrots, and green onions.
    • 3. Whisk together the dressing in a small bowl or jar. Pour onto salad and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. I prefer to enjoy this salad chilled, so I usually throw it into the fridge for at least an hour. This is a great make-ahead salad too – prep it the night before and let it sit in the fridge for up to 24 hours.

    What's in your garden?

    My hydrangeas are doing great this year, they have loved all the rain this summer.  Aren't the colors pretty?  These all came off of the same bush!


    Do you need help designing, redecorating or updating spaces in your home?
    How about a 'paint-lift'? We are ready to help you! 


    Share/Save/Bookmark

    1 comment:

    1. They are gorgeous Renae! All I have are pink ones! I am going to try your guinoa recipe this weekend. I love quinoa...you can't screw it up!!!

      ReplyDelete

    Thanks for coming by! I will always respond to your questions when you provide me with your email address.