- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 whole green bell pepper, chopped **
- 1 whole red bell pepper, chopped **
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro **
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped, sauce reserved
- 3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, thinly sliced (I use all chicken breasts)
- Two 28-ounce cans diced tomatoes with their juice ( I use 1 28-oz petite cut tomatoes and 1 28 oz crushed tomatoes)
- Three 15.5-ounce cans pinto beans, rinsed
- Chopped avocados, cilantro leaves, grated cheddar cheese, chopped scallions and sour cream, for serving
Freeze the chicken for about 30 minutes before slicing.
In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt and paprika and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened and the spices are fragrant, about 7 minutes. Stir in the chipotle and 1 tablespoon adobo sauce. Add the chicken and cook, stirring, until the meat begins to turn opaque, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and beans and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Uncover, increase the heat and simmer the chili briskly, stirring often, until thickened, 25 to 30 minutes.
Add more adobo sauce to taste, serve the chili with avocados, cilantro, cheese, scallions and sour cream.