Sweets

Though I am a California girl, my roots lie deep in the heart of Texas.

No holiday ever goes by without some good ole Pecan Pie, now depending on where you are from you say "peh cahn", or "pee can".  I am a "peh cahn" kind of gal,  "pee can" is just NOT right!



this recipe comes from Francine Maroukian presented in the 
Oct/Nov issue of Garden and Gun Magazine



Drunken Pie

It’s hard to beat a fresh pecan pie, unless you add a little bourbon
Piecrust
Yield: two 9-inch crusts
Ingredients
1 ²⁄³ cups all-purpose flour mixed with ¾ tsp. kosher salt
²⁄³ cup lard
¾ tsp. white vinegar
1 small egg
Water
Preparation
Place flour and salt in bowl, and cut in lard until mixture resembles small peas. In a Pyrex measuring cup, combine vinegar and egg, and add water to make ¹⁄³ cup liquid. Slowly add liquid to the flour mixture, forming dough. Do not overwork. Remove from bowl, halve, and pat into disks. If not using immediately, cover in plastic wrap and chill.
Bourbon Pecan Pie Filling
Yield: fills one 9-inch crust
Roll out one dough disk and fit in 9-inch pie pan, crimping edges.
Ingredients
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 ½ cups dark corn syrup
½ tsp. kosher salt
1 ½ tsp. all-purpose flour
3 large eggs
1 ½ tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. bourbon
1 ½ tbsp. melted sweet butter
1 ¾ cups pecans
Preparation
Using a hand mixer, combine sugar, syrup, salt, flour, and eggs, mixing well. Stir in remaining ingredients
and pour into unbaked pie shell.
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes (a toothpick inserted in center should come out relatively clean). Remove from oven and place on cooling rack, allowing pie to rest for 2 to 3 hours to set.
Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle
I posted this last year here, go and check out the recipe!
What kind of sweets are you cooking up?
Share/Save/Bookmark

9 comments:

  1. Hi, I make pecan pie regularly and all my friends and family love it. I can't wait to try your recipe. I have a recipe for butterscotch pie home made and I want to try that as well. Thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg
    this is obscene.
    i love this stuff.

    i am the peh cahn kinda gal.
    (born in houston)

    xxx yummo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love peh-chans! The pie looks great, but pumpkin WITH gingerbread? Your killing me over the trifle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I may have to smear this all over my bod!! I must make the pumpkin trifle as well. Graham would love that I know. Thank you my dear, you are a doll! xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, you got me! I will make both of these, Renae. That trifle looks beautiful and I cannot wait to say "Drunken Pie."

    ReplyDelete
  6. have i told you how much i love your new profile photo??? well, I DO! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for coming by! I will always respond to your questions when you provide me with your email address.